A man has been fined for allegedly selling his body in a “sex tourism” business, after police launched a sting operation targeting the alleged operator of a brothel in South Australia.
Key points:Police launched the sting operation against alleged brothel operator after receiving tip-offs that a brothels were being bookedThe owner of the brothel was arrested on FridayPolice said the operation was “part of an ongoing anti-human trafficking and human trafficking operation” in the stateThe operation was launched after police received a tip-off from a woman, who alleged she had met the operator of the “sex tourist” brothel at the city’s Winton Beach in May.
The woman alleged she was tricked into buying her body for $600 after being lured to the hotel in exchange for sex, according to police.
“I had to take out a loan of $600 for the body and I am in debt,” the woman, known as J, told police.
Police said they were also conducting a review of the operation.
“This operation was part of an investigation by police into an organised crime ring operating in South Australian communities,” a statement from the State Crime Command read.
“The operation is ongoing and the matter will be reviewed by the Police Service of South Australia in the coming weeks.”
The operation, which was conducted by two South Australian Police Crime Command officers, began at 7:00am on Friday and was carried out by officers from the Adelaide Police Crime Squad and the State Police Anti-Human Trafficking Unit.
The man, identified as J from his booking document, was taken into custody after allegedly attempting to sell his body for an additional $600.
“He had told the police that he would pay a person $500 to come and get his body and that they would take it to a local hospital for a body transplant,” police said.
“When the body arrived, the police officers allegedly made a number of allegations of human trafficking.”
After questioning, the woman and J were released from custody and the investigation into the alleged trafficking operation continues.”‘
No excuses’A spokesperson for the State Crimes Command said they “did not have the authority to issue a summons to the man” for allegedly violating a state law that prohibits the trafficking of human beings.”
As a result, no excuse was offered for his actions,” the spokesperson said.
Inspector Tom Smith from the SA Police Crime Investigation Squad said the woman who told police she had been lured to Winton in May was not a regular customer.”
She did not meet any of the advertised people,” Inspector Smith said.’
We will be looking at the operation to see if there are any other operators that have similar complaints’.’
A human trafficking ring’South Australia’s State Crime Commision has launched a public awareness campaign against “sex tourists” in its area, including a Facebook page.
The page, which has over 10,000 followers, has a picture of a man in a grey shirt with a backpack in the background.
It features images of a young girl and a man, holding a backpack, both with dark hair.”
We will look into the operation of a sex tourism business to see whether there are other operators who have similar concerns,” Inspector Tom Smith said on the page.
He said the “human trafficking ring” was “very prevalent in the region” and that the state’s “human rights law” did not apply to brothelars.”
In this case, there are no excuses for these individuals,” Inspector James Smith said in a statement.”
If anyone has concerns about this business or its operators, we will be investigating it to see what we can do to protect their rights.